Directions: From Denver take I-70 W to Hwy 58 West to Golden. Turn left (North) on Hwy 6 and make a quick right into the Parking area at the base of Lookout Mountain.
This is a great training hike as it gains a lot of altitude but is very close to Denver. The hike starts at the base of Lookout Mountain off Hwy 6 where you'll quickly find an easy to follow trail. The Trail follows Chimney Gulch but you are actually hiking up Lookout Mountain. As you snake your way up Chimney Gulch you'll cross Lookout Mountain Road, watch for road bikes. The trail skirts the gulch for a good steady ascent. When you near the top the trail will cross over to the opposite side of gulch and pass through a small evergreen forest before switchbacking up to the Windy Saddle. You'll top out and cross Lookout Mountain Road one more time to get the great view from Windy Saddle.
This hike ends at Windy Saddle but if you want more hiking you can push on further up the Lookout Mountain Trail to the summit of Lookout Mountain and the Nature Center/Boetcher Mansion or you can take the Beaver Brook Trail from Windy Saddle further west. You can also head towards the Nature Center, but take a side trail that connects you over to Buffalo Bill's Gift Shop...I mean Grave...
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP