Directions: Overland Ponds Park can be found at the intersection of Santa Fe Drive and Florida Ave. The Parking Lot is on the south side of the ponds, off of Florida Ave.
The South Platte River Trail is a long continues paved trail that links various Denver Parks together forming a recreational greenbelt through the city. The stretch of trail linking Overland Ponds to Grant-Frontier Park is particularly nice and both parks have lots to offer.
The hike is self explanatory, explore Overland Ponds, then head south along the paved trail and follow it past Pasquinel's Landing to Grant-Frontier Park. Grant-Frontier Park is a historic park with structures and interpretive signs explaining the history of the site and the area.
Feel free to continue along the trail as far as you wish, otherwise, turn around here and head back to Overland Ponds.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP
Overland Ponds Park to Grant-Frontier Park
South Platte River Trail
Date Hiked: January 16, 2011
Distance: 2.8 miles
Elevation Gain: Minimal
Managing Agency: Denver Parks & Recreation