Directions: From Boulder, head north on on 36 to Lyons. From Lyons, continue on 36 up the canyon to the Longmont Dam Road (80) on the left. Follow Longmont Dam Rd to the Preserve, there is a small parking area near the gate.
Button Rock Preserve, is a fantastic open space park just west of Lyons. The Preserve does not see as many visitors as nearby parks such as Heil Valley Ranch or Hall Ranch. The trail starts at the gate on Longmont Dam road and for the 1st .5 mile you follow the dirt road along the creek and towering cliff walls. When you get to the trail junction with the Sleepy Lion Trail it is 2.5 miles of ups and downs until you reach Button Rock Reservoir.
The trail weaves through aspen and evergreen forest with the occasional meadow until you reach a high point with a great view of Button Rock Dam and Longs & Meeker Peaks beyond. From here you head back down and eventually are deposited at the foot of Button Rock Dam. There is a short trail that you can take that leads up to the reservoir. The way back follows Longmont Dam Road back to the entrance gate.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP