Directions: From Denver, take I-70 W to Georgetown. Drive through the historic district and follow the signs to Guanella Pass. Once you start switchbacking up Guanella Pass Road, look for the Guanella Pass Campground, just before the summit of the pass. The trailhead is just on the dirt road next to the campground, you will see signs pointing the way.
This is a wonderful hike that features 3 scenic lakes. The first lake is Naylor lake and you will be up on the ridge above the lake. Apparently the lake is on private land so take in the view but don't attempt to reach the shores. The trail continues steadily climbing altitude until you reach lower Silver Dollar Lake. The hike to this point is beautiful, there are abundant wildflowers and incredible views back down the basin to Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. From the lower lake, you can continue on the trail, getting a bit steeper here to the smaller but even more scenic, upper Silver Dollar Lake. This lake sits on a bench above the lower lake and the views from here stretch out across the Guanella Pass Area.
Take your time exploring this lake as it's only 3 downhill miles back to the trailhead. The view of Bierstadt and Evans is truly impressive.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP