Directions: This hike starts in the Arapaho National Recreation Area. From Granby head north on Hwy 34 towards Grand Lake. When you reach Lake Granby, you'll enter the Arapaho National Recreation Area managed by the U.S. Forest Service. Turn right just before the Pine Beach Picnic Area, towards Shadow Mountain Dam and the Green Ridge Campground. The hike starts from the Dam.
Shadow Mountain Lake is one of three large lakes adjacent to the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park. While the lakes themselves are not part of Rocky Mountain National Park, the trail along the eastern shore of Shadow Mountain Lake is within the park. The trail leads up for 5 miles to the Shadow Mountain Lookout Tower, but just a short hike along the shore can be quite peaceful and relaxing. The views of snowy peaks beyond the lakes and the pine forests will immediately put you at ease. I highly suggest hiking during the fall or winter when there are little crowds and the ice on the lake adds to the chilly breeze coming off the peaks.
After you've enjoyed your Colorado chill...head over to Grand Lake Brewery for a good Stout beer to warm you back up...
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP