Directions: The hike starts from the Longs Peak parking area and trailhead. From Estes Park head south on Hwy 7 from Lyons head north on Hwy 7. Turn West on Longs Peak Road and take it to the parking area. There is no fee to enter the park from this trailhead.
The hike up to Estes Cone gives you one of the best views from the east of Rocky Mt. NP. You can see straight into the Longs/Meeker Massif, Three Sisters Peaks is almost within arms reach, and the Continental Divide stretches out in front of you. The hike itself makes for a pleasant walk in the woods, with a steep section after you reach Storm Pass. The real fun of this hike, is the short scramble up the to the rocky summit. You'll need your hands, to both climb, and to hold on to your hat if the wind is blowing.
The hike is self explanatory, there are good signs all the way to the summit. Take a few minutes along the way to explore the Eugenia Mine site. Once on top, soak in the view. Longs Peak will beckon you to continue hiking, as it did to me more than 25 years ago.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP