Directions: This hike starts from the Cub Lake Trailhead near Moraine Park. Enter Rocky Mountain National Park through the Beaver Meadows Entrance (Fee Required). Turn left onto Bear Lake Road and make a right across from the Moraine Park visitor's center, follow the signs to Cub Lake and Fern Lake. Bear left at the fork and at the end of the road you'll find the trailhead and parking area.
This wonderful hike starts by crossing Moraine Park and getting a great view up the Fern Canyon, this is where you are heading. The trail cuts south and at the junction, turn west, the trail is well marked and signs point towards Cub Lake. The hike is mostly flat following the creek and weaving in and out of evergreen and aspen forests. The trail ascends a bit as you get closer to the lake and before you know it, you're there. The best views are from the eastern shore as you get the Continental Divide mountains as a backdrop. The trail continues around the north shore and you can hook up with the Fern Lake trail for a slightly longer loop, or you can head back the way you came.
This moderately short hike gives you a glimpse and a taste of the Rocky Mountain NP backcountry. If you want to explore the canyon further, you can go to Fern Lake and Odessa Lake beyond that. However, Cub Lake is surely a worthy destination on its own.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP