Directions: Rabbit Mountain OS is located just east of Lyons. Coming north from Boulder on Hwy 36 make a right on Hwy 66. Look for the Rabbit Mountain sign and make a left (north) on North 55th Street. The trailhead and parking area is at the end of the road. There is no parking fee.
Start the hike by heading up the only trail for about .5 mi. At the trail junction you have three options, follow the dirt road, aka Indian Mesa Trail, turn left onto the Little Thompson Overlook Trail, or turn right onto the Eagle Wind Trail. Although the Little Thompson Overlook is a wonderful hike, this hike describes only the Eagle Wind Trail.
The Eagle Wind Trail skirts the ridge with terrific views of Longs Peak, the north Indian Peaks, and the plains down to Boulder. There are various viewpoints to the right of the trail. The trail itself is relatively flat and traverses the top of the ridge until it loops back in on itself. The loop itself is about 2.5 miles. This hike is a great option for all seasons, especially when you want some elevation gain while still staying east of the foothills.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP