Directions: From Denver, head east on I-70 to the Quebec Exit and head north on Quebec. Make a right onto Prairie Parkway and a left onto Gateway Road. The parking area will be to your right, park and walk across the road to the trailhead.
Prairie Gateway Open Space is nestled in just north of Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium and just west of Rocky Mountain Arsenal National Wildlife Refuge. The park mostly consists of a soft surface loop circling an open prairie area. There are nice views of Downtown Denver and of the Front Range Mountains but the park lacks the natural setting of the neighboring Wildlife Refuge. There is however a spur area north of the main park that does provide a natural setting and is very peaceful. Top get there, follow the path west from the parking area and when you come to an intersection bear right, uphill. Follow this path for a little ways and it will turn into a dirt path (instead of gravel) and follow a fence that serves as the boundary of the Wildlife Refuge. You can explore this area for about a mile before you need to turn around.
Prairie Gateway is best visited (in my opinion) in the evening as the summer sunsets are stunning. The view of Denver is at its finest and you have a good chance of seeing some wildlife, including deer and coyotes.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP
Pairie Gateway Open Space
Date Hiked: July 9, 2012