Directions: Pence Park is a Denver Mountain Park up Bear Creek Canyon near Kittridge. From Morrison take Bear Creek Road (74) west. Pass Corwina Park, and O'Fallon Park and make a left (south) on Meyers Gulch Road. Head up the hill and the trailhead and parking area will be on the right.
The trail up to Independence Peak starts from the parking area and switchbacks up the hill facing the parking lot. The first part of the trail is clear but keep an eye out for a switchback to the left, but not the first left. The first left takes you up to a small lookout and back to the parking lot. Stay on the main trail and make the second left, this one a bit tricky to spot. From here the trail climbs through dense forest crests the hill, and levels out.
About .5 mile in to the trail you'll come across an Aspen grove and a view of the rocky summit ahead. The trail leads you to a rocky outcropping which you need to scramble up to reach the summit. Once on top you a rewarded with a 360 degree view and a decent view of Mt. Evans. Head back the same way you came. You also have the option of adding the short loop I mentioned on your way back.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP