Directions: From Boulder head north on Hwy 36 and make a left (west) on Lefthand Canyon Drive. Turn right onto Geer Canyon Drive and take this road into the park and the main parking area.
Heil Valley Ranch is a park made up of long trails. Most trails are at least 8 miles long. The Lichen Loop however, provides for a short, easy, and pleasant 1.6 mile hike. The hike most stays within evergreen forest but does provide some views of the surrounding foothills.
From the trailhead, cross a small footbridge and turn left on the trail that heads uphill through an open meadow. When you get to the trail junction, you can go either way, I went right and did the loop counter clockwise. The trail head into sparse forest and in and out of open meadows. When it starts to head back to the start of the loop, you get great views of Green Mountain and Bear Peak in the distance behind Boulder. Proceed down-valley through forests and in between huge boulders back to the trailhead. You just got a taste of this park, there is lots more to explore here...
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP