Directions: This hike starts at Bear Lake. Enter the park through the Beaver Meadows entrance ($20 fee). Make a left on Bear Lake Road and take it all the way to the end. Parking is a hot commodity in the summer so better to park at the shuttle parking lot and take the free shuttle to Bear Lake.
Dream Lake is magnificent. The views of Hallet Peak and Flattop Mountain are the best in the park and the hike is not difficult.
From Bear Lake, leave the crowd of visitors and follow the signs to Dream Lake. Dream Lake is a beautiful lake in itself, but continue around the lake and start gaining some elevation on the far side of the lake. Before long you'll be treated to an incredible view of Longs Peak and the Keyboard of the Winds, the ridge leading to Pagoda Peak.
Continue Past this viewpoint and soon you'll reach the outlet of Dream Lake. When you reach the lake shore, your jaw will drop at the sight of Hallet Peak and Flattop Mountain. These iconic mountains are in full display. There are many opportunities to relax on a boulder along the lakeshore.
If you want to continue hiking, head up the trail to Emerald Lake or take the spur to Lake Haiyaha.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP
Rocky Mountain National Park
Date Hiked: June 29, 2013
Distance: 2.2 mi (RT)
Elevation Gain: 450 ft
Elevation Min/Max: 9,491 to 9,976 ft
Trailhead Lat/Long: 40.311960º N; 105.646022º W
Managing Agency: National Park Service