Directions: In Ouray the park is located at the west end of Third Avenue. If walking from Ouray, you need to walk up the dirt road at the end of Third Ave to enter the park, it is not far at all.
Box Canyon Falls is a wonder. The waterfall plunges 285 feet through a narrow slot canyon with amazing force. The City of Ouray built this park in order to allow you to get up close and personal with this impressive waterfall. The park has two main attractions, the lower trail and the upper trail. The lower trail consists mostly of a steel walkway weaving through the slot canyon to the base of the falls. You will get wet on this trail, joyfully wet...
The upper trail is no less impressive. You walk up a series of steel staircases and switchbacks up to a walkway that traverses the top of the slot canyon, looking down on Box Canyon, the river, and the waterfall. You also get a great view of the towering cliffs protecting Ouray from the rest of the world.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP