Directions: The trailhead for Belmar Park can be found off of Wadsworth Blvd at Ohio Ave. Follow signs to the Lakewood Heritage Center and park in the large parking area near the visitor's center.
Belmar Park has 2 main attractions; the Lakewood Heritage Center which displays historical structures and information and Kountze Lake with its system of paved and natural surface trails. From the parking area walk through the Heritage Center until you reach Kountze Lake and the boardwalk. The boardwalk leads to a gazebo and wildlife viewing area. Kountze Lake is beautiful, especially during the winter when the lake freezes over. The trails around the lake provide for a peaceful nature walk with numerous boardwalks and viewpoints. If you want to add a bit of mileage to the walk, follow the trail to the southern portion of the park which leads to a paved walking trail straddling and following Weir Gulch. Work your way eastward along Weir Gulch and cut up north back towards the Heritage Center and the parking area.
Belmar Park offers a fantastic natural oasis in the middle of suburban Lakewood that is great for kids and adults alike.
HIKES BY REGION
NATIONAL PARK HIKES
- BENT'S OLD FORT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- BLACK CANYON OF THE GUNNISON NATIONAL PARK
- COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT
- CURECANTI NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
- DINOSAUR NATIONAL MONUMENT
- FLORISSANT FOSSIL BEDS NATIONAL MONUMENT
- MESA VERDE NATIONAL PARK
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK
- GREAT SAND DUNES NATIONAL PARK
- HOVENWEEP NATIONAL MONUMENT
- SAND CREEK MASSACRE NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
- YUCCA HOUSE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- HIKES BY CATEGORY
- $UPPORT GHC
- INTERACTIVE MAP
Date Hiked: March 10, 2014
Distance: 1.8 mi (RT)